Can I donate books or other materials to the library?
Shenandoah University libraries accept materials that support the University's programs or curricular focus and enhance the library's collections. Gifts are accepted with the understanding that their disposition is at the discretion of the librarians. Donations not added to the collection are disposed of or given away.
Due to space limitations and costs associated with processing, the library is only able to accept gifts that meet the following criteria:
- Timely scholarly works not already included in the collection that meet a program or curricular need
- Works that fill gaps in the existing library collection
We do not accept:
- Materials in poor condition, including markings
- Resources in outdated formats
- Mass market paperback books or magazines
- Incomplete or single issues of periodicals
- Titles already held by the library
To donate, please submit a list (see contact information below) with the following information:
- ISBN (if any)
- Year of publication
Donations related to University's history or EUB archives, such as college publications, photographs, manuscripts, and other records, are also accepted. Please submit a list that includes a detailed description of the items.
Do not send books to or leave boxes of books at the library unless they have been pre-approved. We cannot accept or acknowledge materials that have not been pre-approved as part of the outlined process.
If your materials don't meet the above criteria, here is a list of other local organizations that may accept your donations:
- Horizon Goodwill Industries, 2592 Valley Ave., Winchester, VA 22601
- Handley Regional Library System, Handley Branch, 100 West Piccadilly St., Winchester, VA 22601 or Bowman Branch, 871 Tasker Rd., Stephens City, VA 22655
- Blue Ridge Hospice Thrift Shop, 116 Featherbed Lane, Winchester VA 22601
- Winchester SPCA Thrift Shop, 1944 Abrams Creek, Winchester VA 22601
Due to U.S. tax regulations, the library does not appraise the value of donations or gifts. All donations will require a completed gifts-in-kind form. This form is available at the Smith Library front desk.
If you have further questions or are interested in donating materials to the library, please contact:
Jackie DeLong, Resources Librarian, at 540-665-4819, or firstname.lastname@example.org.